Thursday, January 5, 2012

Cake Pop Fail..

Let me tell you about the day that I learn't that I am NO Bakerella!

 
I love baking decorative cakes, although with time constraints it is pretty much limited to birthday cakes for my two boys. I have made attempts with increasing complexity and so far I have been pretty happy with the results:

 

 
Then I discovered Cake Pops. How could I go past this:

 
Photo by Bakerella
It looks easy enough, right?

 
So I researched a little (thank you YouTube) and using my own expertise limited knowledge I bought some cake mix (a traditionalist I know), some icing in a can (hey that is what they are all using on YouTube), some chocolate and bits and pieces of 'stuff' for decorating.

 
I thought I would start with something simple (as advised) just balls with sprinkles and such added. I was warned - "it is not simple, don't try something too complicated to begin with" and they were right.

 
I will give you a sneak preview of the results:

 

 
That doesn't look tooo bad you might think, and you might be right. The end results were visibly 'acceptable' but I learnt a few lessons on the way:


  1. Get longer sticks - it is nearly impossible to operate a ball of cake on a short stick
  2. Use compound chocolate, not normal chocolate - I know, I know, I already knew this but when it was purchased in error, I thought I would try to make the best of it - not happening.
  3. Don't try to do this on a hot day - it is summer here and it was a super muggy, hot night when I made them. Cake ball sliding down a stick anyone?
  4. Don't try to freeze the balls before adding the chocolate because it is a hot night and the are sliding down the stick... - if you add hot chocolate to frozen cake balls the chocolate cracks! Who knew? I have since been told it would have been better to refrigerate them only.
  5. Don't leave it too late in the day for your first attempt -This took a LOT longer than I expected and it ended up being late at night when I was finished.
  6. Take better photos - ok, so these ones may not be worth too much effort with photography, but if you are going to put so much time and effort into something, make sure you have a decent photo for evidence.
  7.  Make them smaller - I think they were too big? A bit more than a couple of bites is too much.

 
The most IMPORTANT TIP though is related to the main reason these were a fail:

 
7. Use better ingredients - they didn't taste very good and I was told so by guests who made the brave attempt. Next time no frosting in a can and cake in a packet, I will get a good recipe, make my own and make it taste good.

 

 

 

 

 
And I did attempt them again, but that is another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...